Synology Inc. has introduced its next-generation 8-bay NAS, the DS1821+. The new unit is a solution designed for high-capacity and high- performance data management and storage. Its solution ecosystem, versatile performance capabilities, and storage expandability enable content creators and businesses to have peace of mind as they store and secure their files.
“As data requirements grow, so do the expectations of our customers for a solution that can meet the ever-increasing performance and capacity requirements,” said Julien Chen, Synology Product Manager. “The DS1821+ is specifically designed for customers wanting a versatile storage solution, even in demanding multi-user environments.”
Powerful Performance with AMD RyzenTM
The DS1821+ utilizes the powerful quad-core AMD Ryzen TM processor which helps deliver over double the computing power over its Intel predecessor 1. This provides significantly faster performance and response time across Synology Drive, Surveillance Station, Moments, and more. Built-in support for two Synology SNV3400 NVMe SSD cache drives allows up to a 20x throughput performance boost for commonly accessed data. For increased networking performance, an optional PCIe 10GbE NIC 2 can be installed which reaches over 2312.97 MB/s sequential reads, and 1149.89 MB/s sequential writes 3 .
Flexible Storage Options
The DS1821+ provides eight drive bays with the ability to expand to 18 with the use of expansion units4. Powered by Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), in addition to standard RAID arrays, Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR) allows users to create arrays using odd -sized drives while still maximizing the storage potential of the array. This enables older drives to be serviceable, without requiring an upfront commitment to only installing drives of the same capacity.
DSM also provides easy means of upgrading storage capacity after the device has been set up. Add in a new drive and expand your array effortlessly, without disruptions to services or requiring lengthy manual processes5. RAID options can similarly be upgraded, from a lower- protection level to a higher one, such as from SHR-1, one drive redundancy, to SHR-2, two drive redundancy6.
Enterprise-level Data Protection
To protect IT infrastructure, Active Backup Suite allows efficient and centralized backup from Windows and Linux-based PCs and servers, virtual machines on VMware and Hyper-V hypervisors, along with Google Workspace and Microsoft 365 SaaS platforms. Snapshot Replication creates schedulable point-in-time recovery points, allowing fast and easy ways to roll back unintended file edits or even ransomware encryption for both Shared Folders and for iSCSI LUNs. Synology Hyper Backup enables schedulable protection to keep your data backed up to another Synology NAS, a USB drive, Synology C2 cloud storage, and other public cloud providers.
DS1821+ is available from Synology resellers and partners worldwide at an MSRP of $949.99.
If you liked this article, please consider sharing it with your friends and leaving a comment below. Also, don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook, “Follow Us” on Twitter and add the Apple Tech Talk channel to your Apple News app.
And if you haven’t subscribed to Apple Tech Talk, now would be a great time to do it so. Just scroll down to the form below and enter your name and email address. Then you’ll receive a notification whenever we post new articles. Don’t worry, we never sell or share your information. While you’re at it, check out our YouTube channel (here) where you will find video on interesting products any Apple enthusiast would love.
Apple Tech Talker
1. CPU performance improvement compared to Intel Atom ® Processor C3538.
2. Compatible NICs include the E10G17-F2, E10G18-T2, E10G18-T1. For the latest compatible devices, check the compatibility list.
3. Performance figures are achieved in the Synology lab with optimized network and configuration settings. Actual performance could vary in different environments. Comparison done against prior- generation 8-bay DS1819+. For full details on the test setup, please visit the Synology performance page here.
4. Supports LFF (3.5″) or SFF (2.5″) SATA drives. Drive compatibility is dependent on Synology’s compatibility list. The capacity of DS1821+ can be expanded using two Synology DX517 Expansion Units, purchased Separately.
5. Certain restrictions apply when adding drives to existing storage pools. Refer to this article for more information.
6. Certain restrictions apply for RAID type changes. Refer to this article for more information.