Synology has launched its new 12-bay RackStation RS2421+ and RS2421RP+, and 16-bay RS2821RP+, built to excel in large-scale infrastructure backup, business-level file serving, and private cloud services.
“The RS2421(RP)+ and RS2821RP+ units are high-performance storage solutions aimed at SMB customers,” said Julien Chen, Product Manager at Synology Inc.
“Abundant storage capacity, upgraded performance, and redundant power make these units perfect as dependable file servers,” Chen said. “They also support essential remote work applications, such as Synology Office, Synology Drive, and Synology Chat — our file sharing and productivity solutions that keep workers connected and company data accessible.”
More than twice as fast
The new RackStation units boast significant performance improvements over their predecessors.1 The RS2421(RP)+ delivers 103% higher random write IOPS and 161% higher read IOPS, while the RS2821(RP)+ delivers 115% higher random write IOPS and 162% higher read IOPS.2
Customize for your business requirements
The RS2421(RP)+ and RS2821P+ can be fitted with a dual-port Synology 10GbE or 25GbE NIC3 to improve network throughput, or with a Synology M.2 adapter card and fast NVMe SSDs to create an SSD cache,4 a cost-effective method to boost random read/write IOPS of hard drive arrays without occupying standard drive bays. The rackmount units support up to 32 GB of DDR4 ECC memory.5 By attaching an RX1217(RP) expansion unit, drive bays can be expanded to 24 bays for the RS2421(RP)+ and 28 for the RS2821RP+. The units are covered by Synology’s 3-year limited warranty.7
RS421+ / RS421RP+ RS821RP+ CPU Quad-core AMD V1500B Quad-core AMD V1500B Memory 4 GB ECC DDR4 (max. 32 GB) 4 GB ECC DDR4 (max. 32 GB) Form Factor 2U 3U Drive Bays6 12 (max. 24) 16 (max 28) iSCSI 4K random read IOPS 106K 105K iSCSI 4K random write IOPS 59K 59K SMB Seq. 64K read 2200 MB/s 2200 MB/s SMB Seq. 64K write 1154 MB/s 1164 MB/s Network Interface 4 x Gigabit RJ-45 4 x Gigabit RJ-45 PCIe Slots 1 x Gen 3.0 8x slot 1 x Gen 3.0 8x slot Redundant Power Supply RP+ model only Yes
Over 150 apps to extend functionality beyond a storage server
The DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system runs on all Synology NAS devices, connecting them to a feature-rich ecosystem of powerful solutions.
Hyper Backup lets users back up NAS data to the cloud and other destinations, while
the Active Backup Suite provides a robust backup of Windows clients, servers, file servers, and virtual machines. Synology Drive, Chat, and Office enable fluid collaboration between remote workers by providing browser-accessible office applications, file sharing, and chat functionality.
Surveillance Station transforms RackStations and other models into all-in-one surveillance solutions supporting up to 40 cameras.8 Certified integration with VMware, Windows, and other virtualization platforms ensures painless management of VM storage.
The RS2421+, RS2421RP+, and RS2821RP+ are available today from Synology resellers at MSRPs of $1799.99, $2399.99, and $3299.99 respectively.
- Comparisons conducted against prior-generation RS2418(RP)+ and RS2818RP+ units.
- Performance figures are achieved in Synology labs with optimized network and configuration settings. Actual performance may vary in different environments. For full details on the test setup, please visit the Synology performance page.
- Compatible NICs include the E25G21-F2, E10G21-F2, E10G18-T2, E10G18-T1. For the latest compatible devices, check the compatibility list.
- NVMe SSD cache can be enabled via the Synology M2D20 or E10M20-T1 SSD cache adapter cards with SNV3400/3500 NVMe SSDs installed.
- Maximum memory upgrades allow for a greater number of simultaneous connections, more hosted virtual machines with Virtual Machine Manager, larger volume sizes, and other enhancements. Please check the datasheet of the device for more details.
- Supports LFF (3.5″) or SFF (2.5″) SATA drives. Drive compatibility is dependent on Synology’s compatibility list. The capacity of all three units can be expanded using a single Synology RX1217(RP) expansion unit, purchased separately.
- The warranty period starts from the purchase date as stated on your receipt of purchase. Learn more about our limited product warranty policy. RS2421+, RS2421RP+, and RS2821RP+ include a 3-year limited hardware warranty.
- Surveillance Station includes two free camera licenses. Connecting more cameras or devices requires additional licenses.
Synology at a Glance
Staying at the forefront of data management, Synology innovates and adapts to ever-evolving technologies, and continues bringing new possibilities to the table, including but not limited to solutions for data storage and backup, file collaboration, video management and network infrastructure- all designed with one goal in mind – presenting a centralized platform to simplify IT administration while driving digital transformation for businesses worldwide.
If you liked this article, please consider sharing it with your friends and leaving a comment below. Also, don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook, “Follow Us” on Twitter and add the Apple Tech Talk channel to your Apple News app.
And if you haven’t subscribed to Apple Tech Talk, now would be a great time to do it so. Just scroll down to the form below and enter your name and email address. Then you’ll receive a notification whenever we post new articles. Don’t worry, we never sell or share your information. While you’re at it, check out our YouTube channel (here) where you will find video on interesting products any Apple enthusiast would love.
Leave a Comment