Advancement in technology has come with both benefits and challenges. While a majority of people boast of securing their websites from fraud and intruders, some people are faced with the problem managing their data in their respective websites to protect them from cyber thefts and manipulation by unauthorized persons. Most companies use a Virtual Private Network (“VPN”) to protect their sensitive information from manipulators. VPN is used to add privacy and security to private and public networks.
How does it work?
A VPN creates a virtual cable between the server and the computer. It is this virtual cable that creates a tunnel which encrypts any information that passes through it. The effect is that hackers, ISPs or even government cannot view your online activities without your permission.
VPN has three main components namely:
Security protocols: This protects any data that passes into the server, thus creating a connection which is secure.
Encryption: Encryption and security protocol works together. The encryption component is meant to protect your data by encrypting it. This guards your information against hackers, so they cannot easily decipher it.
Servers: When you use VPN, your information must first go to a VPN server before it sends it to the designated server. Every VPN has a server whose data is sent to request access for a particular website you want to visit.
What are the functions of VPN?
VPN serves various functions.
1. Unblocking content – In today’s entertainment industry, people watch content from different locations. Perhaps you are residing in Oman, but you would like to watch a show that is found only in Netflix’s US library. You cannot access such website without VPN. How does it work? With VPN, one is able to alter their geo-location so that it will appear as if you are residing in the United States. VPN enables one to unblock some sites that the ISP might have blocked. Most countries block their torrenting sites to curb criminal activities. Such sites can be unblocked using VPN.
2. Used for hiding IP – Just like a VPN can unblock a content, it can also hide the address of your IP. IP changes depending on your preferred server you may want to connect it to. Your IP address gets hidden behind VPN’s server when you connect it to VPN. This makes the government and hackers not able to see your actual location. 3. Encrypting data – Providing security to your data is very crucial. It makes your information protected from the potential hacker since VPNs are difficult to hack.
3. Encrypting data – Providing security to your data is very crucial. It makes your information protected from the potential hacker since VPNs are difficult to hack.
Types of VPN
There are two categories of VPN.
As the name suggests, free VPNs have no costs attached to them for you to use one. All you need is to download them free from the Internet. It is critically important to know that free VPNs have both pros and cons.
Pros of Free VPN
It is free: one of the pros of Free VPN is that it comes with no cost. One obtains free VPN freely without string attached. The user does not have to pay a monthly fee in order to enjoy the services of free VPN.
Limitations of free VPN
Most people who are new to the services of VPN normally start by using free VPN in order to save money rather than searching for paid VPN that will keep their information safe. They forget to look at the dark side of free VPN. Free VPN has many limitations. Some of the limitations of free VPN include:
They cannot guarantee the security of your data: many of these free VPNs normally exposes ones’ information to the third parties. Besides, some of them can distribute your IP address to others. A free VPN is therefore not always secure.
- Unreliable connections: free VPNs provide shaky connections that are not reliable. This means that there are low chances of them providing security protocols.
- They can track your online activity: the worst offense that a VPN can make is to track your activities online. This is a characteristic of free VPNs. This means that they don’t guarantee the privacy of your activities online.
- Free VPN limits the amount of data one uses: free VPN will not allow you to use a large quantity of data. The secret is that you will have to upgrade to premium VPN.
These are paid VPNs. VPNGeeks.com has most of the widely used premium VPNs which includes; ExpressVPN, Private Internet Access, VyprVPN and NordVPN among others.
Unlike Free VPN, Paid VPN has numerous advantages that users can enjoy. Some of the pros of paid VPNs include:
- They guarantee speed in Internet connection.
- They do not track your activities online.
- They contain full features.
- They are more secure than free VPN hence guarantee the privacy of data.
Paid VPNs, however, can be expensive.
The Bottom Line
To most people who use the Internet, it is pretty obvious that VPN can guarantee the security of their data. The question for these internet users is whether or not they should spend some cash to get paid VPN services which have proven to be more secure and guarantee privacy. It is safer to use paid VPN over Free VPN for your security of data and online activities. Better be safe than regret.
If you liked this article, please consider sharing it with your friends and leaving a comment below. Also, don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook, “Follow Us” on Twitter and add the Apple Tech Talk channel to your Apple News app.
And if you haven’t subscribed to Apple Tech Talk, now would be a great time to do it so. Just scroll down to the form below and enter your name and email address. Then you’ll receive a notification whenever we post new articles. Don’t worry, we never sell or share your information. While you’re at it, check out our YouTube channel (here) where you will find video on interesting products any Apple enthusiast would love.
Jack Foster has over ten years of experience in the IT and cybersecurity sector. He is currently the chief content writer for VPNGeeks.
The views expressed herein are solely those of the author. Apple Tech Talk is not affiliated with VPNGeeks.com and does not make recommendations as to the service providers they recommend.
Apple Tech Talk is providing this information as a service to our readers and did not receive any compensation in connection with this article. Always respect laws that pertain to copyright of material. Apple Tech Talk does not endorse or encourage any activity that would violate copyright or other laws.
when I am comparing free and paid services I think about losses which can be caused if I choose free, another risky trick is to sell paid services but with a lifetime subscription, these are even more dodgy for me. I’ve tried nordvpn and I stayed with them. Customer support was very fast and polite, it makes me think that they care about their customers a lot.
[…] One of the ways internet users can enjoy some form of anonymity when browsing the internet is with a VPN. For iPhone users, the hunt is on to find a VPN that runs smoothly on iOS […]