On October 24, 2016, Apple released software updates for all of their platforms. Here is summary of the various releases.
MacOS Sierra 10.12.1
- Adds an automatic smart album in Photos for Depth Effect images taken on iPhone 7 Plus.
- Improves the compatibility of Microsoft Office when using iCloud Desktop and Documents.
- Fixes an issue that may prevent Mail from updating when using a Microsoft Exchange account.
- Fixes an issue that caused text to sometimes paste incorrectly when using Universal Clipboard.
- Improves reliability of Auto Unlock with Apple Watch.
- Impoves security and stability in Safari.
- Fixes an issue that may cause Mail to display unnecessary password prompts for AOL accounts.
- Improves compatibility with Fujitsu’s ScanSnap scanning software.
- Addresses a “Filter Failed” error when printing to some Canon printers.
- Fixes an issue that may prevent Grapher files from opening.
- Brings back the Safari option to “never use font sizes smaller than” for displaying fonts on webpages.
This update is recommended for all MacOS Sierra users and is available as a free download from the Mac App Store.
Camera and Photos
- Introduces Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus that creates a depth effect that keeps your subject sharp while creating a beautifully blurred background (beta)
- People names in the Photos app are saved in iCloud backups
- Improved the display of wide color gamut photos in the grid views of the Photos app
- Fixes an issue where opening the Camera app would show a blurred or flashing screen for some users
- Fixes an issue that caused Photos to quit for some users when turning on iCloud Photo Library
- Transit support for every major train, subway, ferry, and national bus line, as well as local bus systems for Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya
- Sign-based transit navigation including layouts of all underground structures and walkways that connect large transit stations
- Transit fare comparison when viewing alternative transit routes
- New option to replay bubble and full screen effects
- Messages effects can play with Reduce Motion enabled
- Fixes an issue that could lead to contact names appearing incorrectly in Messages
- Addresses an issue where Messages could open to a white screen
- Addresses an issue that could prevent the report junk option from displaying with unknown senders
- Fixes an issue where videos captured and sent in the Messages app could be missing audio
- Adds distance and average pace to workout summaries in the Activity app for outdoor wheelchair run pace and outdoor wheelchair walk pace
- Fixes issues that may have prevented Music playlists from syncing to Apple Watch
- Addresses an issue that was preventing invitations and data to appear in Activity Sharing
- Fixes an issue that was allowing Activity Sharing to update over cellular when manually disabled
- Resolves an issue that was causing some third-party apps to crash when inputting text
Other improvements and fixes
- Improves Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party accessories
- Improves AirPlay Mirroring performance when waking a device from sleep
- Fixes an issue where playback would not work for iTunes purchased content when the “Show iTunes Purchases” setting is turned off
- Fixes an issue where certain selfie apps and face filters used with the FaceTime HD Camera on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus did not display a live preview
- Fixes an issue in Health where individual strokes are converted to separate characters when using the Chinese handwriting keyboard
- Improves performance of sharing websites from Safari to Messages
- Fixes an issue in Safari that caused web previews in tab view to not display correctly
- Fixes an issue that caused certain Mail messages to be reformatted with very small text
- Fixes an issue that caused some HTML email to be formatted incorrectly
- Fixes an issue that in some cases caused the search field to disappear in Mail
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Today View Widgets from updating when launched
- Fixes an issue where Weather widget sometimes failed to load data
- Fixes an issue on iPhone 7 where Home Button click settings would not appear in search results
- Fixes an issue that prevented spam alert extensions from blocking calls
- Resolves an issue that could prevent alarm sounds from going off
- Fixes an issue where audio playback via Bluetooth would cause the Taptic engine to stop providing feedback for some users
- Resolves an issue preventing some users from restoring from iCloud Backup
iOS 10.1 is recommended for all users and is available as a free download. To update you iOS device, go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- New option to replay bubble and full screen effects in Messages
- Messages effects can play with Reduce Motion enabled
- Fixes an issue that could cause the notification for Timer complete to be delivered twice
- Resolves an issue that could prevent Apple Watch Series 2 from fully charging
- Resolves an issue where Activity rings may disappear from the watch face
- Fixes an issue that prevented Force Touch options from appearing in some third-party apps
This free update is recommended for all Apple Watch users. To update your Apple Watch, follow these steps.
- Keep your Apple Watch on its charger until the update completes.
- On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app, tap the My Watch tab, then tap General > Software Update.
- Download the update. If asked for your iPhone passcode or Apple Watch passcode, enter it.
- Wait for the progress wheel to appear on your Apple Watch. It could take from several minutes to an hour for the update to complete.
Leave your Apple Watch on the charger while the update completes. Don’t restart your iPhone or Apple Watch, and don’t quit the Apple Watch app. When the update completes, your Apple Watch will restart on its own.
tvOS 10.0.1 is the first update to tvOS 10 which was released last month. The new version is a minor release that includes bug fixes and security improvements.
This free update is recommended for everyone currently running tvOS 10.0. To uypdate your Apple TV software, head to the Settings app, then select System and go to the Maintenance submenu. Click “Software updates”, then “Update Software”
If you liked this article, please consider sharing it with your friends and leaving a comment below.
APPLE TECH TALKER